Little Cumberland. Little Cumberland Island and the historic communities known as the Settlement and High Point located just across Christmas and Brockington creeks from Big Cumberland Island. Little Cumberland Island is privately owned and is not open to the public. More information from Sherpa Guides.
Owned and maintained by the Little Cumberland Island Association, the Little Cumberland Lighthouse is the southernmost beacon on the Georgia coast. This lighthouse was built in 1838. In 1874, a brick wall was built around the lighthouse to protect it from the encroaching sea. The lighthouse was in service until 1915 when it was deactivated. The keeper’s house and all other light station buildings were demolished in 1968, but the tower remained. The tower was renovated in 1994 to 1998. The lighthouse was designated on the National Register of Historic Places on August 8, 1989.
More information about the Little Cumberland Island Lighthouse here.
Secret Seashore: Georgia’s Barrier Islands, Georgia Public Broadcasting