Lazaretto was the colonial-era quarantine area for incoming ships, passengers and area residents who were believed to be ill. In 1767, 100 acres on Tybee Island’s extreme western tip were purchased to create the quarantine station by Josiah Tattnall*. Several hospitals there were constructed a year later, where voyagers who arrived ill were treated and those who died were buried. Today the area is said to be haunted.
Today, Lazaretto Creek is crossed by U.S. Route 80, and is a popular fishing spot and kayaking route. Shrimp and charter fishing boats, plus Capt. Mike’s Dolphin Tours, and CoCo’s Sunset Grille (formerly Café Loco) are on Lazaretto Creek. Nearby is Crab Shack on Chimney Creek.
*Note: Tattnall owned Bonaventure Plantation, now Savannah’s famous Bonaventure Cemetery. Tattnall’s father in law, John Mullryne was commissioned to rebuild the lighthouse on Tybee Island; he completed the work in 1773.
More Ghost Stories:
– Tybee Island “Ghosts” at the Bridge and Water’s Edge
– “Song for Lazaretto,” A chill in the basement and a history lesson – Editor’s Blog, Tybee Times
– Most Haunted Place in America: Tybee Lighthouse Station, GhostEyes.com
– Paranormal Investigation: EVP’s from Tybee and Moon River, GhostEyes.com
For more information:
Lighthouse Inn, a Tybee Island B&B beach vacation spot
Historic Tybee Bed and Breakfast, Celebrating 100 Years!
tybeebb.com | firstname.lastname@example.org
16 Meddin Drive | Tybee Island | Georgia | USA 31328
(912) 786-0901 | Toll Free (866) 786-0901 | Twitter @Rockinporch | Facebook
Copyright © 2011 Sandy Traub / Lighthouse Inn. All rights reserved.