TYBEE ISLAND, Georgia — Why not September 2013 for a beach trip to Tybee Island — one of Travel+Leisure magazine’s touted “America’s Best Little Beach Towns”? TripAdvisor.com calls Tybee a “soft blend of natural marshes and Atlantic shoreline, modest history and seaside playground”.
Tybee Island beach is a 20 minute drive east of downtown Savannah, Georgia USA.
Southern Living turns the spotlight on Tybee Island, calling it the “Perfect Little Beach Town: The All-American Hamlet”, and points to lodging at Lighthouse Inn. And, in August 2013, Forbes Travel Guide blog points again to “Exploring the South’s Best Kept Island Secret” — Tybee Island, which also includes Lighthouse Inn.
In the May 2013 issue of Travel+Leisure, Tybee Island, Georgia was named to the magazine’s “America’s Best Little Beach Towns” short list. The feature points to the white sands, resident dolphins, Civil War forts [Fort Pulaski and Fort Screven], and Pirate Fest [annually in October].
In September, Tybee Beach life is wonderfully pleasant and less crowded.
Historically, average temperatures in September are high 83-degrees F, and low of 68-degrees F, making Tybee Island, Georgia, an ideal island vacation spot.
What’s to do on Tybee Island?
Gentle lifestyle things like biking, a beach walk or run, nightsky gazing, birding, wonderful food, southern visiting, photography, fishing, or kayaking for starters.
Note: Lights Out for Turtles Nesting season runs May 1 – October 31. Use red-light flashlights only on the night beachfront. Always stay out of the dunes.
Stay on the quiet, north end of Tybee Island at Lighthouse Inn for your end of summer celebration on Tybee Island in September 2013.
- September 1: Labor Day Beach Bash, Swingin’ Medallions 7 p.m., Fireworks 9:15 p.m., Tybee Pier.
- Voting ends September 3, 2013: Vote for Tybee Island, Georgia, in Rand McNally “Best of the Road” contest.
- September 3: Fort Pulaski National Monument reverts to normal hours — open daily from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
- Through September 5: Use discount code GIG05 to register for Critz Tybee Run Fest. Event is January 31-February 1, 2014! http://www.critztybeerun.com/registration
- September 7: 15th Annual Tybee Island Sea Kayak Races, A.J. restaurant dock. The race benefits Tybee Island Marine Science Center.
- September 13-15: Gray’s Reef National Marine Sanctuary Ocean Film Festival 2013 (Savannah)
- September 27-29: Noel Coward’s “Blithe Spirit”, playing at Black Box Theater, Tybee Arts Center on Cedarwood Avenue. Also October 4-6. Presented by Tybee Arts Association.
- September 19: Sons of the American Legion Fish Fry
- September 19: Full Moon, 7:12 A.M. “The Full Harvest Moon is different than all our other full Moons. Around this date, the Moon rises at almost the same time for a number of nights in our northern latitudes.” Source: Farmer’s Almanac Learn more in our article, “Shine On, Harvest Moon.”
- September 28: National Public Lands Day. Free admission to Fort Pulaski National Monument near Tybee Island.
- September 29: Tybee Community Day, 1-5 pm, Memorial Park. Bring a picnic and a chair to enjoy music, games, friendly conversations.
“Tybee Island, a laid-back island paradise located just 20 minutes east of historic Savannah, recently made FlipKey’s elite list of Top East Coast Beaches, joining esteemed summer travel destinations including Martha’s Vineyard, Mass. and Ocean City, Md.” — Abshire PR press release, May 2013
For more information:
Lighthouse Inn, a Tybee Island breakfast inn
Historic Tybee Beach Bed and Breakfast Cottage, Celebrating 100 Years!
tybeebb.com | firstname.lastname@example.org
16 Meddin Drive | Tybee Island | Georgia | USA 31328
(912) 786-0901 | Toll Free (866) 786-0901 | Twitter @Rockinporch | Facebook
Copyright © 2013 Lighthouse Inn/Sandy Traub. All rights reserved.