Tybee Island Beckons in Winter: Seek Relief from Oppressive Winter Snow
Get away to “no snow” in winter at Lighthouse Inn’s beach vacation and the quiet of a Georgia vacation on the island’s seashore — sunrise, sunset, sand, surf, sea gulls, shrimp and seafood. Sleep is magical at our historic inn near the Atlantic Ocean shore and in the shadow of the historic Tybee Lighthouse.
Tybee Island, Georgia, in “Top Beach Towns for the Winter” by Yahoo! Travel, Sylvia Cochran, October 2011
Escape crowded beach vacation travel! Make your winter vacation arrangements months ahead, or plan as you go. Feel rejuvenated after venturing out for island biking or running the beach on a chilly day along America’s east coast shore.
Mild winter vacations on Tybee Island, Georgia, are a welcome relief from snow storms in America’s northern states. Certainly, the Georgia coast’s “no snow” winters make Tybee Island — Georgia’s northernmost barrier island — an enticing place to relax in off season with about 2k-3k beach-loving locals and a few shore-seeking travelers.
Winter, spring, summer, and fall the Lighthouse Inn’s two-story 1910 officer’s cottage bed and breakfast is loaded with charm, down to comfy rocking chairs, hot and cold beverages, and Stuart’s comfort food breakfast topped off with his famous homemade biscuits! for a fun, quiet vacation, it’s one the best vacation spots in the U.S.
The quiet bed and breakfast’s great location, too, is within walking distance to delightful restaurants. The Atlantic Ocean seashore (a stop for winter migrating shorebirds) is a short 3-minute stroll from the bed and breakfast cottage’s doorstep.
Soups, too, are on lunch and dinner cafe menus! North Beach Grill (“Tybee’s Great Little Shack by the Sea!”) is our closest beach cafe, featuring gourmet Caribbean cuisine, plus weekend music.
When Ben Affleck was filming in the Savannah area, North Beach Grill was a popular place to spot this handsome celebrity and his red Porsche.
HOW CHILLY IS THIS GEORGIA BEACH IN WINTER?
In winter, the Mercury drops to a comfortable chill. On average, the coolest month is January, reports Weather.com. Temperature records show above freezing averages on Tybee Island, GA.
December: Low 43. High 62. January: Low 40. High 60
February: Low 43. High 63.
IDEAS FOR WINTER ON TYBEE ISLAND
- Enjoy the ocean from the Tybee Pier boardwalk. Talk with fishing folks, usually at the tip of the pier.
- Charter a eco boat cruise south to protected barrier island beaches — Wassaw, Ossabaw, Blackbeard, and Sapelo.
- “If you love history or just want to be a beach bum this is a great vac”, writes another commenter about Tybee in winter. Enjoy Fort Screven Historic District. Take in the Tybee History Museum and Tybee Lighthouse.
- Fish the shoreline reefs.
- One TripAdvisor guest wrote, “wooden swings [are] placed strategically down the beach, which were very relaxing and great place to watch the sunset.” The writer adds, “Dolphin Tours at Lazaretto Creek and Fort Pulaski is a MUST. Stay for the tour and demonstration by an old Civil War soldier.”
- Fort Pulaski National Monument is closed on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day. Free admission November 11-13, 2011. Fort Pulaski will commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Confederate Nog party of 1861 on Friday, December 9, 2011, and Saturday, December 10, 2011.
- Hiking, biking, and walking trails are abundant at Fort Pulaski National Monument. Many protected bird species have been identified at the park, including: American oystercatcher, bald eagle, gull-billed tern, least tern, and woodstork.
- “ Sand, sea gulls, and Sundae Cafe” are high points from another writer. “Tybee Island was a wonderful find!“
- “Winter is the best time to see shorebirds who migrate from the Arctic tundra to spend the fall and winter on Tybee’s beach,” advises Mallory Pearce on Tybee Island Online.
- Tybee Island is also a location for Christmas Audubon Bird Count. Lighthouse Inn is on North Beach, near prominent Colonial Coast Birding Trail.
- Explore the night sky with local astronomers. The Oglethorpe Astronomical Association (OAA) plans an evening at the Tybee Pier, scheduled the Friday closest to the first quarter moon — November 4 and December 2, 2011 are confirmed dates.
- Christmas Tide’s “Lights on for Tybee” is December 2, 2011, 6:30 p.m.
- Tybee Island Christmas Parade is December 3, 2011, 1:00 p.m.
- Photographer Leeann Ritch encourages to “book a beautiful Tybee photography session in the crisp air all bundled up!”
- See and photograph the historic Tybee Lighthouse. Climb it 178 steps for a skyline view of the seashore and Tybee’s quaint cottages.
- Miss Judy Charters offers 2012 INSHORE and OFFSHORE FISHING CLINICS. “Inshore School”, Saturday February 4, 2012 (8AM – 2PM), and “Offshore School”, Saturday February 11, 2012 (8AM – 2PM) , each at Tubby’s Tank House. 912-897-4921.
- Plan a day trip to enjoy beautiful, genteel Savannah — historic mansions, art museums, lush greenery, boutique shopping, tea room lunch (Gryphon, Savannah Tea Room), artisan bread and dessert cafes (Harris Baking Co., Back in the Day Bakery, Leopold’s Ice Cream (homemade daily soup & sandwiches, too!), or Lulu’s Chocolate Bar). The area’s best barbecue is at Wiley’s Championship BBQ on Whitmarsh Island (between Savannah and Tybee). They are closed each Sunday.
For more information:
Lighthouse Inn, a Tybee Island beach house inn
Historic Tybee Bed and Breakfast, Celebrating 100 Years!
tybeebb.com | firstname.lastname@example.org
16 Meddin Drive | Tybee Island | Georgia | USA 31328
(912) 786-0901 | Toll Free (866) 786-0901 | Twitter @Rockinporch | Facebook
Copyright © 2011 Sandy Traub / Lighthouse Inn. All rights reserved.